Pages

Mindfulness - Don't Knock It Till You've Tried It!

Mindfulness has had a big impact on my life. Not only has it allowed me to be a lot more positive but more able to deal with everyday Life too. So, for that reason my first post is dedicated to that.

Yes, I’m aware it’s now a well-known thing and almost at the point where it’s become a fad due to it being plastered everywhere. There’s everything from mindful colouring to knitting to plain and simple walking! I feel, because of this, people may not give it a chance but like I said, don’t knock it till you’ve tried it!
You may wonder why should I be more mindful? What’s the big deal?
Well I’m going to try and answer that by explaining what mindfulness is (in my opinion!)

Mindfulness has Buddhist origin. It’s now been adapted though, meaning you don’t have to be spiritual or religious in order to take part and feel the benefits. Putting it simply, it’s about allowing yourself to be in the present moment, allowing certain thoughts and feelings to pass through with ease, without reacting.

Practising mindfulness can bring you a sense of calm which will allow you to have more awareness and control over your emotions. Along with bringing peace and calm, it can help you have more appreciation over the little things in Life; it allows you to see the things that are important to you.

I thought I’d put together a simple exercise for you to follow:

1. Make sure you’re sitting comfortably (or lying down) and close your eyes.
2. Take a few seconds to adjust and take a slow, deep breath in, imagine you are filling a glass up to the top with water. When you’re at the top, hold it.
3. Exhale, imagine you are pouring the water out.
4. Keep inhaling and exhaling slow and calmly whilst imagining the water in your mind. If your mind wanders, that’s okay, just slowly bring it back to your breath and filling/emptying the glass.
5. Do this for 5-10 minutes – you could set an alarm but I like to come back into my surroundings naturally.

I like to do this before I get out of bed so I can get up with a clear head and focus on the day ahead of me. I suppose it would also work before sleeping too, as it would take your mind off the day you just had. You could even use this when you need to step out of a stressful situation and need to remind yourself to stay calm and breathe.

I hope you find the exercise helpful. Let me know what you like about mindfulness and what exercises you do. More mindfulness posts are to come including different activities you can do mindfully and a step through guide to help you along.

Lucy 

Lucy Steel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram