Pages

Food Review: City Tavern



Yesterday my sister, (Tasha) and I went along to City Tavern in Newcastle to check out the menu.


We entered the tucked away pub, just off Northumberland Street, and I instantly loved the interior (this may be due to the books scattered around). The upstairs is more for meals and sitting down. The downstairs has a very homely feel to it. I walked in and honestly was blown away, It just felt so welcoming, I could imagine it at Christmas or New Year's Eve, everyone gathered round in this lovely warm environment.
Normally I'd not think of a pub as a place I'd go for food, especially needing a gluten and dairy free menu, I'd tend to go for the more wellknown places for food just as I feel it's 'safer'.

I was most pleasantly surprised. The menu clearly labelled what was gluten free, vegan and vegetarian. I was rather impressed by the amount of choice. Normally I go somewhere and there's one or two options of a gluten free meal and I've got to go with one of them.  I do feel like it's a shame that I get excited about places that actually do gluten free as most of the time places don't and it's just the norm to offer a jacket potato as a gluten free option - very poor in my opinion. But at City Tavern there was so many gluten free options I was blown away.

First of all, drinks! They have a huge range! 60 gins they offer, along with whiskys, rum, wine and more! I went for butler's lemongrass and cardamom gin and tonic...yes this was at lunch time but is it ever too early for a G&T?




I decided, after a long while of pondering, to go for a pulled pork open sandwich (opting for the gluten free bread they offer.) It came with fries, a slaw and a salad. I tell you, it definitely did not disappoint!

 
 Tasha, went for a home-made fish finger sarni, with hand cut chips and salad. I saw it and almost wished I'd gone for that! It looked so much better than any of my home-made fish finger sarnis! They offer a gluten free version of this too...next time I know what I'm having!



Although we went for lunch and had sandwiches we felt obliged to have dessert - I'm almost certain my sister and I have a dessert stomach! (And yes that's a real thing!)
Tasha picked a vanilla cheesecake and I chose the gluten free brownie. That brownie was the fudgiest brownie I've ever tasted. I could not get enough of it! It was warm too - just melted in the mouth - amazing!



The portion sizes are unbelievable and such good value for money. You will not leave this place hungry! That's if you want to leave!
I love the fact that the menu offer a range of foods too. Don't just think because it caters for vegans and other dietary requirements that there won't be something for 'normal' people because it does. That's what I think is so good about this place - the fact that a whole variety of people can eat here.
It's so delicious and I think the interior makes it feel so at home and cosy. That really adds to the whole experience.
I would recommend this to everyone, even more so to those with certain dietary requirements. They cater for everyone.
Overall, amazing! Get yourself down to City Tavern, take a right past Primark and you will see this magical place tucked away.



And one last important thing, I think I found one of the best quotes in there too!

Do check out City Tavern!

Lucy



Lucy Steel

2 comments:

  1. How quick are you, getting this up so quickly! We are definitely going back though, there's so much more to try on the menu! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Tasha! Well done for getting this up so fast! Lucy this food looks absolutely amazing! Serious my mouth is watering!

    plainsarahjayne.com
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Instagram